Friday, May 27, 2011

Victory!

Today I conquered the court.
You may remember from my last post here that I was shafted from playing a game with a bunch of Indian guys.
Today it all changed.
I came, I played, and I scored.
It may have helped that I brought along two 6 ft 4 white guys to get into the game.
It was the most frantic game I have ever seen in my entire life- and that's saying something.
They had absolutely NO strategy at all... you'd think I'd feel right at home in this situation. 
Not so.
I have to admit...I miss playing with my boys back home. 
They may be harder on me, but I can at least SOMETIMES figure out what's going on!
Anyway... it was fun, and good exercise.
I also made a basket.
Respect?
I think I earned a bit
...at least they started passing to me

 

Friday activities:
Calling NGO partners.
I needed to call Aarvind today.
Aarvind has a STRONG indian accent.
He also has a lisp.
It's kinda hard to understand the man in person so I was freaking out about calling him
What if I couldn't understand him and it'd be a disaster and I ruined the relationship between his organization and ours?!
I wrote down a script so I wouldn't freak out so much.
Ok I know that sounds ridiculous...but I wanted to be prepared
Have you ever talked to an important Indian man with a lisp? 
I didn't think so....so don't judge.
I spared myself the embarrassment of posting what that conversation looked like only because it ended up being fruitless.
I called him twice and he never picked up.
Guess I'll have to try again monday



For lunch we went to our favorite restaurant.
We discussed projects and ate some of the best Indian food EVER.
This little gem is only about 2 blocks from our house 
and 
they have air conditioning
AND
they also serve more Northern Indian food which is more  like what we eat in the US
It's amazing


This is the dessert they gave us...cute huh?
It's ice cream and some sort of fried cake bite thing
Delicious


Our Friday evening consisted of running errands
We were searching for "That Thing You Do" to rent.
We made friends with the owner of the rental store by our house
He has almost every Hollywood and Bollywood movie you could ever want
His motto is "You name it- We have it"
Not technically true....since he has to order in the movie we wanted
 but he'll have it for us by tomorrow

In the meantime we considered this award winner:


Quality.


Friday night- Our country directors ordered in.
We fully approved of their choice
Believe me...pizza has never tasted this good


Our next venture was making no-bake cookies
Finding all of the ingredients at the store was a challenge
They delegated the task of actually making them to me
This was my first experience making them


It took me three batches to get the consistency right...I didn't have any measuring cups so I had to guesstimate everything
Apparently they were a hit 
and I was crowned a culinary genius 
I'm not sure if I'd go that far....our group is just a little sugar deprived- that's all


Last but not least 
It's friday night
we had to entertain ourselves somehow...

No, we weren't playing spin the bottle don't worry
I might have introduced the group to a certain date called the 43 kisses date
I've personally never tried it
but it's worth a few laughs
We also introduced certain members of our group to "the Bachelorette"
This led to the whole group playing a version of the game


There are MANY videos produced during this incident
But I'll spare you
It can get crazy in this house with nothing to do
Luckily- we have a concert planned for tomorrow
Thank goodness

Love,
A

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, the fried cake bite things are really good. Got them when Kylaas introduced me to Indian food. And sports without rules huh? Totally reminds me of our epic snow football games. And are you sure you haven't tried the 43 kisses date ;) jk. love you Ale!

    ReplyDelete