Sunday, July 3, 2011

Weekend in a Nutshell

We needed some cheering up so we headed out to dinner on Friday night.
Half- a- hamburger later and we were in a great mood!


It was pouring rain so I wore rain boots to keep out the floods.
Our original plan was to go see a movie
but it was sold out.
We went home, watched Baby Mamma instead and had a lot of fun.


On Saturday we got up and headed to the craft village on the other end of the city.


There was a nice park to enjoy before we got down to business and did what we came here to do




Shopping!
This place was great because there were literally a hundred booths set up with traditional Indian crafts, clothes, and jewelry.
I got into a few heated bargaining wars-
one Indian even told me I was a good bargainer.
Quite the compliment coming from them, let me tell you.
Many people in my family (and a few special few outside of it) benefitted immensely form this trip.


After our shopping excursion we headed to a friend's house for dinner. 
Our group met her through a project they are working on for SKS.
Her family was kind enough to invite all 17 of us to eat biryani, the traditional dish of Hyderabad. 


In India putting a string of flowers in your hair indicates a special occasion or that you had gone to a temple that day.
Our host got us each a string for our hair.


Our host Ariada's dad is part of the Society of Churches in Southern India.
Basically, many Christians got together and decided to join the many fragments of Christian churches together because only 2% of the entire population of India is Christian.
They thought having a larger church would help get them better representation and I suppose there is safety in numbers.
Anyway, her dad is one of the leaders in this.
Before dinner he gave us a spiritual lesson on becoming disciples of Christ-
and then we all sang Amazing Grace.
It was one of my favorite moments in India.


Today at church I helped in the nursery.


These kids are so darn cute!


One of the primary girls wanted her picture taken too.


One the way home from church we always pass this tree.
The bushes have grown up around it so the flowers have mixed in together,
but it made me think how much I'd love to bring one of these home with me....too bad my big (yes people- my BIG suitcase) is already full of souvenirs to bring home! 


I just got this last night
I thought you'd like to see that we made it into the newspaper a few weeks ago :)


This article was written about our group visiting Kowdipally 


Pretty cool huh?

With love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment