Friday, July 15, 2011

Last Day

So I'm a little behind because I left my group and didn't have internet for a few days.

Here is how I spent my last day with my HELP International group:

We hopped on a bus out to the slums
It was one of the most interesting rides I've ever taken.
This woman happened to be doing cocaine along the way...


We got off at a slum school and the kids were THRILLED to see us.


This little guy's eyes were amazing








We were told this little girl never came to school, but showed up today because the white people were there.


Here is the classroom before we started painting


During



and after.
We painted an English alphabet and numbers


We also painted the Telagu alphabet...


...some nice fruit


and don't forget my peacock


Yes ladies and gentleman I graced the school with my creative talents and painted this lovely peacock on the wall


You can't really see it - but there is a lot of paint all over us.


Those kids really loved our murals and I know I really loved helping paint them.
After we cleaned up a bit we headed to a team dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe to celebrate winning the Help International blogging contest.

These are some of my favorite people in the world.
There is something about roughing it for 2 1/2 months in VERY close proximity that made us close. 
And I wouldn't have it any other way.


Here I am saying goodbye to our country directors Seth and Melissa. 


Each and every person in my group brought something unique and important to the team
and although sometimes we annoyed each other...
we all had a common purpose 
In the end- we wanted to help the people of India - we all just had different ways of going about it
and because of that- we were successful.
I'm proud to be a part of this group.
They taught me more than I can ever thank them for.
And I think in our own small way we were able to help the people here.

With love,
A

P.S. My heart goes out to the families of those people killed and injured in the bombings in Mumbai two days ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment